Kavvayi Backwaters located near Payyanur is the third largest backwater in Kerala and the largest one in north Kerala. The Kavvayi Kayal is dotted with several small and large islands. Valiyaparamba island is the largest among them and stretches over 16 square kilometres.
How To Reach
To travel from Kannur Airport to Kavvayi Backwaters, you can consider the following transportation options:
- Distance: The distance between Kannur Airport and Kavvayi Backwaters is approximately 70 kilometers.
- Taxi/Car: Hiring a taxi or taking a private car from Kannur Airport is a convenient option. Taxis are readily available at the airport, and you can negotiate the fare or choose a taxi with pre-fixed rates. The journey takes around 2 hours, depending on traffic conditions and the route taken.
- Auto-rickshaw: Auto-rickshaws are a common mode of transport in Kannur. You can hire an auto-rickshaw from the airport to reach Kavvayi Backwaters. Make sure to negotiate the fare beforehand.
By Public Transport:
- Bus: You can take a bus from Kannur Airport to Kannur city center. From there, you can find buses that travel to Payyanur or nearby areas. Inform the bus conductor about your destination, and they can guide you to the nearest point to Kavvayi Backwaters. From that point, you can hire an auto-rickshaw or take a short walk to reach the backwaters.
- Train: Kannur has a railway station, and you can take a train from Kannur to Payyanur Railway Station. From Payyanur, you can hire an auto-rickshaw or take a local bus to reach Kavvayi Backwaters.
It's advisable to check the current schedules and availability of public transportation options, as they may vary. Additionally, consider the traffic conditions and plan your trip accordingly. Kavvayi Backwaters is a scenic location in Kannur, and local residents can provide you with further guidance on reaching the backwaters from the airport.
Other DestinationsView All
Nestled in the Western Ghats, the peak Paithalmala is a wonderful destina...
Theyyam is a traditional ritualistic performance art form that originated...
Explore Asia's longest drive-in beach...
Discover the grandeur of Arakkal Museum...
Indulge in the authentic taste of Malabar...
St. Angelo Fort
Experience the triangular laterite fort...
A perfectly maintained destination in Kannur...
One of the most important European trading centers of Kerala....
Parassinikkadavu Snake Park
The park houses a variety of snakes and other small animals,...
Kavvayi Backwaters is the third largest backwater in Kerala...
Ezhimala Beach and Hill
The sea curves around three sides of the seven peaked Ezhimala hills....
Bekal fort was not an administrative centre and does not include any pala...
Ananthapura Lake Temple
The only lake temple in Kerala, is a picturesque temple erected in the mi...
Ooty of Kerala offers a rip-roaring trekking experience...
The stunning waterfall appears to be a sparkling stream of white pearls a...
Talakaveri, the place where river Kaveri originates is situated on a hil...