St. Angelo Fort
The magnificient fort was built in 1505by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese victory of India, /the ownership of the fort has changed hands several times. In 1663, the Dutch captured it. They subsequently gave the fort its present appearance. The Dutch sold the fort to the Arakkal Royal family in 1772. The British conquered it in 1790 and used it as one of their major military stations on the Malabar Coast. It is fairly well preserved as a protected monument under the Archeological Survey of India. A painting of this fort and the fishing ferry as a background is on display at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. Kunjali Marakkar’s head was removed from his body and exhibited in the fort after his execution.
How To Reach
To travel from Kannur Airport to St. Angelo Fort (also known as Kannur Fort), you can use the following transportation options:
- Distance: The distance between Kannur Airport and St. Angelo Fort is approximately 27 kilometers.
- Taxi/Car: The most convenient way to reach St. Angelo Fort is by hiring a taxi or taking a private car from Kannur Airport. There are several taxi services available at the airport, and you can negotiate the fare or choose a taxi with pre-fixed rates.
- Auto-rickshaw: Auto-rickshaws are also a common mode of transport in Kannur. You can hire an auto-rickshaw from the airport to reach St. Angelo Fort. Make sure to negotiate the fare before starting the journey.
By Public Transport:
- Bus: You can take a bus from Kannur Airport to Kannur city centre. From there, St. Angelo Fort is located near the Kannur bus stand, and you can easily walk or hire an auto-rickshaw to reach the fort.
- Train: Kannur has a railway station, and you can take a train from Kannur to Kannur Railway Station. From there, St. Angelo Fort is just a short distance away and can be reached by walking or taking a short auto-rickshaw ride.
It's recommended to check the current schedules and availability of public transportation options as they may vary. Also, consider the traffic conditions and plan your trip accordingly. St. Angelo Fort is a prominent tourist attraction in Kannur, and local residents can provide you with further guidance on reaching the fort from the airport.
Other DestinationsView All
Nestled in the Western Ghats, the peak Paithalmala is a wonderful destina...
Theyyam is a traditional ritualistic performance art form that originated...
Explore Asia's longest drive-in beach...
Discover the grandeur of Arakkal Museum...
Indulge in the authentic taste of Malabar...
St. Angelo Fort
Experience the triangular laterite fort...
A perfectly maintained destination in Kannur...
One of the most important European trading centers of Kerala....
Parassinikkadavu Snake Park
The park houses a variety of snakes and other small animals,...
Kavvayi Backwaters is the third largest backwater in Kerala...
Ezhimala Beach and Hill
The sea curves around three sides of the seven peaked Ezhimala hills....
Bekal fort was not an administrative centre and does not include any pala...
Ananthapura Lake Temple
The only lake temple in Kerala, is a picturesque temple erected in the mi...
Ooty of Kerala offers a rip-roaring trekking experience...
The stunning waterfall appears to be a sparkling stream of white pearls a...
Talakaveri, the place where river Kaveri originates is situated on a hil...